• od_landing_1.jpg
  • od_landing_2.jpg
  • od_landing_3.jpg
1 2 3

Getting started in owner/driver kart racing

  • Do not go rushing off to buy a kart! Go to Buckmore Park Kart Circuit on a race weekend (third weekend of every month except August) The circuit is situated just off junction 3 on the M2 in Kent. Take a look at the classes and see which is the most suitable one for you. Most of the top 115 and 125cc drivers are built like a jockey! However, we at Buckmore Park have a class for heavier drivers in the Rotax Senior Max 177 class. For this class drivers must weigh a minimum of 85kg 
  • Having viewed the options, and talked to the drivers in the pits, decide upon which is the best for you. It is a good idea to consider a class that is well supported as no matter how fast or slow you may be there will always be someone to race with. Racing in the early days of your career is most fun if you are mixing it with the others. Small grids rarely give entertaining racing. 
  • Look at the kart magazines, or this and other karting websites like www.karting.co.uk and consider a kart racing course. A course will teach you more about the sport and the cost of racing in each class. It is ideal to attend a course before you make your final decision on which class to enter, and before a purchase is made. The information that you will pick up in these areas will be invaluable (The Buckmore Park Kart Racing School is here to help - contact the Sales Team Tel: 01634 201562). 
  • Before you race you will need to successfully complete an ARKS (Association of Racing Kart Schools) test. This can be taken at different venues around the country as well as at Buckmore Park. The first thing you need to do is purchase a Starter Pack from the Motor Sports Association (MSA). This will give you the relevant information that you require. 
  • Once you have passed the above you will need to purchase your equipment, you will also need tools in order to maintain it correctly. Try to go testing at Buckmore Park before your first race (the dates are on the back page). You will need to contact the track before the journey to make sure that testing is on. 

But in order to enter a kart meeting you also need to obtain the following: -

a) A Starter Pack is available from either The MSA Ltd, Motor Sports House, Riverside Park, Colnbrook, Slough, SL3 0HG (Tel: 01753 681736), or on the MSA website.

b) A medical certificate of fitness provided by the doctor (if you are over 18 years of age). This is part of the Medical Examination, which is on the licence application form (this will be in your starter pack).

c) A Kart Club membership such as Buckmore Park Kart Club Ltd. Buckmore Park Kart Club Ltd offers a discount on entry fees to race meetings, and testing on production of a valid membership card.

d) Apart from your kart you must have protective clothing, which includes - helmet approved for kart racing, an approved racing suit, gloves and ankle boots. The standards will be found in the MSA Yearbook also supplied in the starter pack.